Another Good Day.

Today when I went to visit dad, his room was so quiet I grew afraid.  I tried to open the door and it was locked.  I knocked several times and no one answered.  I knew he could be elsewhere but I hadn’t seen him in the television lounge which is where he often is.

I saw an aide down the hall and asked if she could open his door, which she did.  She waited as I checked to be sure he was there, and he was – in bed!  He said he was just getting up as I walked into his living room.  I put the Pepsi in his refrigerator while he finished getting his pants on and then he went and sat in his Lazy Boy.

What’s up?  He asked me.  I just said I usually got there around 11 and it was the same today.  I told him I brought his Pepsi and we talked just a little before he closed his eyes to “rest”.  I checked his refrigerator to make sure he had his usual snacks and cheese.

Soon the medications aide came to bring his morning pills.  There were a lot of pills.  He asked why he takes so many pills.  I told him some were vitamins, some for his blood pressure, his cholesterol, etc.  I said I thought he must take most of his medications in the morning.  But the medication aide said he will have more medications after lunch.

I know dad prefers to sleep in and he might have put them off when they tried to get him up earlier this morning.  They are also short staffed at the moment, so no one pushed him to get up sooner.  Instead of having breakfast when he got up at 11:15, he waited for lunch at noon.

The aide asked for him to stop on the way to lunch so he could get weighed.  They weigh him the beginning of each month.  I think that might be a state requirement.  In any case, I like to see what it is and track how he is doing.  He had gained 2 pounds in the past month, so is now at the highest he has been now in more than a year I think.  I was pleased with that.  I do think he is eating better this year though he is still fussy about individual meals.

By the time I left dad at lunch, he was back to his usual self.  He always naps often during the day, but I like to have him at least up and dressed in the morning.  I think it keeps him healthier too.

I will admit I got worried for a quick minute when I found dad’s door locked and no one responded to my knocking on the door.  I think deep down there is always the fear that one day he just won’t wake up.  On the one hand, that would be the easiest way to go.  On the other hand, I’m not ready yet and know I never will be.

I know when the time comes, I will deal with it.  In the meantime, thankfully, today was another good day.,

About letstalkaboutfamily

I am a retired and was the primary caregiver for both my parents before they passed. I have children and grandchildren. This blog is an attempt to connect with other caregivers and share ideas and experiences. I hope you will let me know what worked for you if you had an experience similar to mine. The main issues I am going to talk about are elder care, death and dying, assisted living, family relationships and hoarders and hoarding. Other topics will come up as I address the issues and my relationship with other family members.
This entry was posted in Alzheimer's Disease, Assisted Living Facility, Caregiving, Elder Care, Eldercare, Family and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

3 Responses to Another Good Day.

  1. terry1954 says:

    i always have those same feelings…………………..

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s