Another Day — Another Doctor for Dad

This morning I got up very early to be ready to pick dad up for his ophthalmologist appointment.  This was just a routine appointment since dad has some eye conditions that need to be followed.

Dad was having breakfast when I arrived.  I was expecting him to be sitting and waiting for me as I had reminded the aides yesterday that I would be there.  I told dad he had just a few minutes to finish his breakfast since we were expected at his eye doctor.

I put his Pepsi in his room and picked up the paperwork from the wellness office.  I got a jacket for dad as I knew he would be cold inside (from the air conditioning) even if he wasn’t cold outside.  I was glad I did.

We arrived at the ophthalmologist’s office just about on time and went inside.  Soon we were ushered to the back where the physician’s assistant asked some questions and did a preliminary exam on dad.  I was surprised he didn’t ace the vision exam as he had always done in the past.  Up until now, dad’s vision has been better than mine, though he still wore bifocals.

This time one eye seemed to be much worse than the other.  Before she left the exam room, the PA put drops in dad’s eyes.  First she put in one type of drops, then a second, and then a third.  “Wow!” I said.  Three kinds?  She said that last time they had difficulty dilating dad’s eyes so they needed extra drops this time.

When the doctor came in the room, he started to look in dad’s eyes.  Then he added more drops.  I wonder if this is related to the fact that he is dehydrated.  Dad was good for the exam, and read back all the letters on each line as the doctor requested.  After he was done, the doctor told me that dad’s prescription would be changing “a little”.  I said I planned to get him new glasses anyway as his old ones are scratched and he didn’t have a spare pair.

As we were walking towards the waiting room, dad said his eyes were blurry.  I explained that it was from the eye drops and it would “take awhile” before they were clear again.  I brought him to the optician in the waiting room and he sat down while they brought him some choices for frames.  He quickly picked out a pair, while twice more telling me that his eyes were blurry.  Each time I explained that he had drops in his eyes and they would be better later in the day.

I ordered a pair of glasses for dad.  His old ones were probably twenty years old, and his vision has not changed in many years.  He was surprised to be getting a new pair.  If he knew how much they were, he would have been really surprised.  His company union had a vision plan that allowed him to replace his glasses for about $20 every two years.  But, they had to go to a specific vendor near his old house.

I didn’t even check for this because we are hundreds of miles away.  So, instead of $20, the new glasses cost over $300!  They will be ready in about two weeks.

As we were leaving the ophthalmologist’s office, I asked dad if he was hungry and wanted to go somewhere to eat.  He said yes, so off we went.  I took him to a local family restaurant that serves breakfast until 11 AM.

He asked what we were eating as he wasn’t sure what meal this was.  I said they are serving breakfast and he looked at the menu.  I realized he couldn’t really read it because of the eye drops, so I read it to him.  He chose eggs, home fries and bacon.  I had French toast as I often do, and we had a nice breakfast.

While we ate, dad told me his eyes were blurry and I explained about the drops.  He told me about his eyes about four or five times before our food arrived.  I had brought in his jacket and he said he was cold.  I put his jacket on him and zipped it up.  Then I asked the waitress to turn off the fan over out table as the air conditioning was also on.

Dad enjoyed his breakfast and soon we were headed back to his assisted living facility.  On the way, dad told me his eyes were blurry.  (Now that I think about it, I am surprised no one called me since I got home to tell me his eyes were bothering him, though I did tell one of the aides when I took him back.)

Dad was tired when we got back to his assisted living facility and went straight to his room to have his nap in his recliner chair.  I cleaned the dishes in his sink and then went out to do the rest of my errands.  I reminded dad that today was Tuesday and I will see him on Thursday.

I went to the post office, the library and then home.  By the time I got home I was really tired too.  I had just some toast for lunch since I had a late large breakfast.  Then I sat in my recliner chair and took a nap too!


About letstalkaboutfamily

I am a retired and was the primary caregiver for both my parents before they passed. I have children and grandchildren. This blog is an attempt to connect with other caregivers and share ideas and experiences. I hope you will let me know what worked for you if you had an experience similar to mine. The main issues I am going to talk about are elder care, death and dying, assisted living, family relationships and hoarders and hoarding. Other topics will come up as I address the issues and my relationship with other family members.
This entry was posted in Alzheimer's Disease, Caregiving, Dementia, Doctor, Elder Care, Eldercare and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Another Day — Another Doctor for Dad

  1. Terry says:

    A perfect way to end a morning!!!! Glad it went well. Glasses are outrageous in price almost everywhere!

  2. boomer98053 says:

    Mercy me, what a day you had! I hope your dad’s eyes clear up soon.

  3. Joy Johnston says:

    Glasses are very expensive, I think I spent close to $500 on my last pair. They are the one luxury I allow myself because they usually last me several years. I also wear them all the time, not just for reading, so they are essential for daily tasks. Glad your day went well even if it was tiring!

    • Thanks. That’s true. Dad and I both wear our glasses al the time. I thought about looking for a cheaper place but decided we need them to work well for us. Maybe I will end ip with a cheap spare pair from one of those places that advertises on TV. But not the main pair!

  4. Janet Yano says:

    Wow…what a hectic day. Glad the eye exam went well. And, hopefully it’s only once a year like my dads.

    • Yes, the exam is only once a year. Thank goodness. But
      Ast month we had to go get his glasses frames repladed. And now we will be returning for a new pair of glasses. Still, that doesn’t require an appointment, nor does it require the eye drops. His actual eye exam can wait another year and a half now, so that will give us both a break!

  5. Sheryl says:

    You write wonderfully. . . and I really enjoyed how you described your day. It brings back bittersweet memories.

  6. SwittersB says:

    Thank goodness your Dad has you! Eyes are so fragile. I bet you were tired….it all adds up. Beautiful daughter, as always.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s