Good Health News

I mentioned earlier that I have had some health issues that were being followed up.  I had some tests which were then followed by more “follow-up tests” based on the results of the first tests.  Now I have heard from the doctors involved and the news is pretty good.

The serious issues that were possible were not found to be present.  These were serious but rare possibilities and had to be ruled out.  Thankfully they were ruled out.  However, in doing the first set of tests, another issue arose.  This was addressed as part of the second series of tests.

While they found a small problem, it was deemed to be not serious.  It is just something that we will have to follow over time.  This is similar to some issues mom had starting at around the same age as I am now.  I think mom’s was more serious though I can’t ask her now about when it all began.

Now I am almost through with all the medical visits scheduled for this summer.  I still have to see my ophthalmologist and have my annual mammograms.  In addition, I have to see the dentist who was booked up earlier in the summer.  After that I have some return visits scheduled with the doctors I see most regularly, but these are routine checkups and blood work.

At one point several years ago I thought I could just schedule all my medical appointments (and dads) for April and October and forget about them the rest of the year.  For many reasons, it has not worked out that way – especially this year.  Several scheduled appointments were cancelled because the doctors were to be out so they had to be rescheduled later in the summer.  And once an exam is delayed one year, it has to be later each year because insurance will only pay for many of these exams (like eye exams or mammograms) once a year – at least one year from the date of the last exam – unless there is an acute problem

I am thankful that dad has been fine through all this.  I have taken him for seven medical visits so far this summer including extra ones for broken eyeglasses as well as his routine eye exam and an extra visit to the dentist which we had not anticipated.  I didn’t tell dad about most of my medical tests because I didn’t see any sense in worrying him until I knew if there was a real problem.  Thankfully there isn’t and we can move on.

Now I am looking forward to doing more fun activities with my time rather than spending it on medical appointments!

But – as soon as I thought I could focus on fun, we had a storm that knocked out the electricity to my computer room.  It must have been a surge that damaged several sockets.  All of a sudden the overhead light wasn’t working and the computer wasn’t working.  The socket sparked when I tried to plug something it.  I called maintenance yesterday morning and again in the afternoon.  I finally reached someone at the end of the day.

They had said someone would come after lunch, but then they called me this morning while I was visiting dad.  I had to leave dad with a promise I would take him to lunch on Thursday, and came home to meet the electrician.  It all worked out though and now I am back online.


About letstalkaboutfamily

I am a retired and was the primary caregiver for both my parents before they passed. I have children and grandchildren. This blog is an attempt to connect with other caregivers and share ideas and experiences. I hope you will let me know what worked for you if you had an experience similar to mine. The main issues I am going to talk about are elder care, death and dying, assisted living, family relationships and hoarders and hoarding. Other topics will come up as I address the issues and my relationship with other family members.
This entry was posted in Caregiving, Elder Care, Eldercare, Health Care and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Good Health News

  1. boomer98053 says:

    The all-pervasive fret-filled waiting period to find out if we’re healthy or not is one of the most bothersome aspects of seeking medical attention – there are numerous other bothersome aspects, but this one seems to ruin more days’ happenings, and more lost nights’ sleep than I can count. I am so very glad that the plethora of tests did not reveal anything about which you need to concern yourself at this time. Onward and upward!!

  2. liramay42 says:

    I’m glad to hear that the tests showed nothing too serious. Waiting for those results can be so stressful. I had to chuckle at the thought of being able to schedule ALL doctors visits during two months out of the year. My mom has a primary care doctor, a cardiologist, a neurologist and a kidney specialist. Between all of them, she’s got an appointment at LEAST once a month – sometimes two in the same month PLUS being sent for lab work! And since I have to take her to all her appointments, that means my own medical appointments do get put off and put off.

    • You are so right. I used to go with mom to several of her specialists. Some she had to see every 6 weeks so there was always an appointment coming up. But for me so far most of my appointments are annual or twice a year. With good planning and good luck I have been able to bunch them together in the past. However that didn’t work out this year 😀

  3. I’m very pleased to find you. No matter how far apart we are, those of us who are caring for parents/spouses all share lives that are so similar. Before my mother died two years ago, I was on the appointment schedule like you — all of this is something only other caregivers can understand.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s